Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Coming to terms with reality

The reality of my life is....Food has been an ever-present friend. My best friends are spread across IL, MO, WI, AZ & NC. It isn't easy for me to just hop in the car or take a bus to see them throughout the week. Even more difficult is to meet a cool person that you bond with like you do your best girl friends from HS & College.

So, food became a comfort pillow to lie my head. Except, when I started eating, I couldn't stop. It's sad when, instead of calling my friends to discuss a bad day, I would just come home & start noshing.

I need to get more active in things....volunteering, networking, etc. So, I made a decision a couple weeks ago that I was going to try getting back into musical theather, because I truly miss having that musical/creative outlet. I had called to make an audition appointment about a week ago for a community theater in Arlington Heights; however, ALL their audition times had been filled. So, they put me on a wait list in case of a cancellation, which I pretty much came to terms that I wouldn't be auditioning for that theater. And I started looking at other opportunities.

Well, yesterday, I got a phone call from the theater company that there had been a cancellation & I was up for audition tomorrow (today, Tues 6/8) @ 8:10pm. I immediately went into audition mode, picked my song, edited my resume and searched for a musical theater monologue. I'm not good at memorizing lines. But instead of eating all night in stress, I went for a walk, calmed down & rehearsed the song a bit before bed.

I'm just nervous about the audition, because I am quite visibly NOT the body type for stage anymore. And if I want to start performing again, I need to have a better body, endurance & overall health. It's depressing to realize that the weight gain might affect their overall idea of me in consideration for their principal parts.

But I'm hoping getting more involved will bring better mental and physical health benefits to my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment