Monday, May 24, 2010

And so it begins...

I am one quarter of this battle against the bulge. My story is a string of clichés, but like all cliches, truth lies within it all. Last September I moved to Milwaukee, a city where everything is served beer battered, covered in cheese, or in the form of a sausage. Most of the restaurants are chains of fast food or specialize in fried fish. As I regularly work sixty hour weeks, I generally fall victim to the carry out dinner.

On top of all of this, I am engaged. I have less than 18 months left before out 11/11/11 wedding. Dress shopping has always been the bane of my existence, and now wedding dress shopping makes me feel like a shadow of despair is looming upon me. I have always been quite top heavy, so working with my proportions has never been easy. Now I have to worry about finding a wedding dress. After a preliminary visit to a bridal shop, I have realized that in my current size I have very little options. In addition to size concerns, I have a limited budget which means getting a custom dress is not an option. Everyone I have spoke said to take into consideration the idea of “bridal sizes.” Sizes tend to run smaller. So if you are a size 8 in real life, then your wedding dress will need to be a real life equivalent of a size 12.

So here I am at the beginning of this 12-week battle of wills. Led mostly by vanity, but with a real desire to start living a healthier lifestyle. So let's start this out with a smile. The weather is gorgeous and the sun is shining bright. I can not wait to see what this summer brings.

-E.L.

No comments:

Post a Comment