Monday, May 24, 2010

Nothing to lose but weight!

So I've never written on a blog before, so I'm gonna do the best I can. I guess I'll start out telling you a little about my background and how I've gotten to this point.

My whole life I have struggled with weight, always feeling like the biggest one in the group. I played multiple sports and took dance during my childhood and adolescence, so I was able to stay in pretty good shape even though I didn't think so. During high school, my mom decided to lose weight and joined Weight Watchers and I did it with her, losing a maximum of 15 pounds. However, soon after that I failed Weight Watchers and dropped out. This was the first of many attempts and dropouts.

Then college hit, and not only did I gain the freshmen 15, but I took it to a new level and gained the freshmen 40. I loved my social life and all the beer that came with it. I didn't workout at all except for intramurals here and there.

After college I moved in with a good friend for a year and in one summer gained another 15 pounds due to my partying and unhealthy late night stops....but damn, was that a fun summer!! So I moved away for 2 years for a job and was at my heaviest ever. In the last year away, my work decided to hold a Biggest Loser competition right after the New Year. It was for 10 weeks with weekly weigh-ins and you paid $50. If you lost 10% of your body weight, you got your money back, but if not, your money went to the Biggest Loser. I was reluctant to join because I didn't think I would be able to do it considering I had never lost more than 15 pounds before, but I figured, what the heck...I have nothing to lose...so I did it.

While I wasn't able to lose the 10%, I did lose 8.5% and was able to start changing my life. I lost 18 pounds during the competition and went on to lose another 17 or so after it for 35 total. I've kept it off for a year or so, but have plateaued big time. I'd do great one week, then not see results fast enough and blow it the following week. This was my reason for wanting to start this competition with my friends as we are all pretty competitive and all complain about our weight. I would like to lose another 20-30 pounds, and I feel like this is the kick in the butt I need and I always like to have company on my journey.

Today was a great start as I stuck to my calories for the day, and I even avoided all of the goodies that were in the lounge at work as it was a co-workers birthday. I woke up 20 minutes nearly and did Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred and I decided to change up my workouts and went to a Zumba class tonight which I loved.

Hopefully the good days keep coming!!! I have nothing to lose but weight!!

No comments:

Post a Comment