Monday, May 24, 2010

Straight from the Foodie's mouth

My friends know many different things about me, but one truth runs more clear than the rest. I'm a foodie. I love to cook, eat, entertain, nosh, taste, snack and create. Part of this comes from my family, because all of them are involved with food somehow.

When I was younger, I was active in sports and dance. So, weight was never really a big problem for me. It wasn't until I got into college when things changed a bit. I didn't gain the "Freshmen 15," but over the last two years of school I did. But after a bad break-up with the love of my life, it dropped off. It wasn't until recently that I needed to come to terms with the following things:

  1. I wasn't eating proper portions
  2. I stopped exercising like I had been a year prior
  3. I gained weight through stress eating due to work
  4. I was depressed at the size I had become at my own doing

Now, while many people say stress causes them to eat, I just don't know why I had to eat ALL of what I was eating. It was like an internal voice that kept calling out for differing flavors that threw me over the edge of reason. Part of this may be as a compensation of a diet that was a bit too strict about a year and a half ago.

Around this time two years past, I was at my peak health since going to college & not having the activity as I did when I was younger. I made the conscious decision to start working out, got a trainer (which wasn't a good experience) and ate a very strict diet. During this time, I trained with a few friends for a stair climb, but as soon as that puppy was over with, the diet and exercise went out the window. Thus, the weight gain.

Oy to the vey.

This process is going to be a lifestyle change. I know I can do it, but I know what I won't do. I'm not cutting out bread or rice or pasta or cheese. But it's going to be in moderation mixed with voluminous veggies and incredible exercise.

What can you expect from me? Sincere, and slightly brutal, honesty, humor, healthy recipes & dedication. I'm a normal person. There's nothing truly remarkable about me but what I do have is a chance. And I don't want to blow it. I'm ready to change my life and take charge. Hopefully, it'll allow some gifts to come back into my life.

Your Faithful Foodie-
Mer

No comments:

Post a Comment